Saturday, February 28, 2015

Beet Bisque


I found the original recipe for this soup in a copy of "Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Soups & Stews" that was given to me by my good friend Patti Kappel.  Although there is a big difference in my version that it is posted here, it is a sweet velvety treat that I did not expect.

I substituted Harvard Beets in place of the fresh beets because, and this is unusual, I was pressed for time.  This cut down the cooking time dramatically, but it turned out pretty good just the same.

The term "bisque" implies a velvety soup that's usually made of pureed seafood, such as lobster or shrimp, and cream.  Although I did not use any seafood or cream, I could not describe this dish any other way orther than velvety.  So, I hope that you don't mind me taking the liberty of calling this Beet Bisque.
--Enjoy

Ingredients:

  • 2 15 oz jar of Harvard Beets, drained, rinsed and diced
  • 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups of diced russet potatoes (as usual, I did not peel them)
  • 28 oz of reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Low fat sour cream or yogurt

Directions:



  • In a soup pot, heat the olive oil.  Add garlic and cook over a medium heat for about a minute.
  • Add the diced potatoes and stir and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Add the broth and diced beets.  Bring to a boil.  reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Add the marjoram and onion powder.
  • With immersion blender (or transfer in batches to a standard blender), blend the mixture until velvety smooth.  if the mixture is too thick, add more broth.
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with sour cream or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment